Article from East Gippsland Neighbourhood Watch
Living in the Gippsland area, people are spoilt for beautiful places to swim, with lakes, ocean and rivers a plenty.
Unfortunately there have been a few near drownings which has prompted Victoria Police to remind water users of some safety tips to keep out of trouble while swimming.
- At the beach, swim between the red and yellow flags
- Be aware and prepared before entering the water
- Never swim along
- Supervise children and those vulnerable closely around the water
- Don’t drink alcohol while swimming or boating
- Wear a life jacket when boating – it is the most important piece of safety equipment
- Carry a mobile phone or marine radio
- Get a weather forecast before you go out
- If in doubt – don’t go out
There are so many fantastic events on in and around the Gippsland Lakes this weekend. Enjoy them and stay safe.